DOOM is one of my favorite games of all time. Brutal Doom is a mod for DOOM that kicks up the intensity with a LOT more violence. If you want to see everything put together, here's me playing the first two levels.
- Install gzdoom:
sudo xbps-install -S gzdoom
- Download Brutal Doom
- You'll need a copy of DOOM. I would recommend grabbing a copy from GOG, but you can also get it from Steam.
- If you choose to purchase from GOG, you will need Wine to install the game and get the .WAD file:
sudo xbps-install -S wine
Setting everything up
- If you purchased from GOG, install the game using
wine. If you purchased from Steam, just navigate to where you installed the game (usually
Inside of the game folder you will see
DOOM.WAD. Copy this into
~/.config/gzdoom/ (if the
gzdoom folder does not exist, create it).
Now you can run the game when you launch
Extract Brutal Doom from when you downloaded it earlier. Copy the
.pk3 file into
Now edit (launch gzdoom if it doesn't exist)
~/.config/gzdoom.ini. Under the line
Path=$HOME/.config/gzdoom/[FILENAME].pk3. This will load brutal doom by default.
My Brutal Doom settings
- In Display Options > Set Video Mode, I'm using Vulkan.
- In Display Options > Dynamic Light Options, I've bumped up my shadowmap quality to 1024.
- I rebind the keys to use the standard WASD / mouse to aim.
My texture options are below.
Bonus: Adding Doom Metal
Doom Metal is a soundtrack mod that replaces most of the music with, well, metal versions.
Personally I prefer this repack that resamples all tracks to 44.1 kHz.
Just like before, extract it and copy the
.wad file to
~/.config/gzdoom.ini and add
Path=$HOME/.config/gzdoom/[FILENAME].wad underneath the path to Brutal Doom.